PPS PAI STAIN Smd Meeting 9
MEETING 9: The city I have visited: Present Perfect
1. Reading and Speaking
THE CITY I VISITED
Surabaya is my favorite city in Indonesia. It is beautiful, big, but a little bit noisy. I love the buildings in Surabaya. There are many historical buildings. Most of the buildings were built by the Dutch. One of my favorite things to do in Surabaya is to visit the zoo. You can see many kinds of animals. You can eat Surabaya typical food, Lontong Balap. On Sundays, the zoo is usually crowded because many people from other towns and villages visit it.
The weather in Surabaya is hot, but not too hot. In rainy season, it rains a lot, but when the dry season comes, the sky is almost always blue. The transport system in Surabaya is much better then in Jakarta. Taxis are clean and comfortable. The town bus system is good in Surabaya.
Surabaya has lots of interesting places. You can walk along Jalan Tunjungan. The Jembatan Merah is very famous. This bridge is to immortalize the struggle of ‘arek-arek Suroboyo’ against the Allied Force. The Gedung Balai Pemuda and the Tugu Pahlawan are also famous. There are lovely parks, a great museum, a nice beach and a clean river. There is always something to do in Surabaya; theaters, concerts, traditional dances. Surabaya has them all.
Answer these questions:
- What can you see in the zoo?
- What is typical food in Surabaya?
- Why is the zoo usually crowded on Sundays?
- How is the weather in Surabaya?
- Mention the interesting places we can find in Surabaya!
- Tell a city you’ve ever visited!
3. Listening Section
Making Paper by Hand
This is the VOA Special English Development Report.
The earliest process of making paper was done almost (1)____________ years ago in Egypt and the Nile Valley. In those days, paper was made from strips of the papyrus plant.
Modern paper-making began in China about (2)______________ years ago. This process produced paper from cloth, straw, wood or the bark of trees. The raw materials are struck over and over until they become loose. Then they are mixed with (3)________.
After the water has been (4)____________, the flat, thin form remaining is permitted to dry. This becomes a sheet of paper.
Large (5)__________ started to be used for making paper near the end of the (6)_____ century. Today, paper-making is a big business. But it is still possible to make paper by (7)______________, since the steps are the same as using big machines.
You should choose paper with small amounts of printing. Old (8)__________ are good for this reason. Colored paper also can be used, as well as small amounts of (9)__________. Small pieces of rags or cloth can be added. These should be (10)_________ into pieces about five centimeters by five centimeters.
Everything is placed in a (11)_________, covered with water, and brought to a boil. It is mixed for about (12)__________ hours with some common chemicals and then allowed to cool. Then it is left until (13)__________ of the water dries up. The substance left, called pulp, can be (14)___________ until you are ready to make paper.
When you are ready, the pulp is mixed with water again. Then the pulp is poured into a (15)________ box or mold. The mold is made of small squares of wire that hold the shape and (16)__________ of the paper. To help dry the paper, the mold lets the water (17)_________ through the small wire squares.
After several more drying steps, the paper is (18)______________ lifted back from the mold. It is now strong enough to be (19)___________.
The paper is smoothed and pressed to (20)___________ trapped air. You can use a common electric (21)__________ used for pressing clothes.
There are many other (22)_______________ for people making paper using small machines.
4. Translate these sentences into English
- Winda memberi saya uang setiap bulan
- Saya akan melupakan kamu tahun depan.
- Rian dan Ria bangun pagi jam 5 setiap pagi.
- Kita mengalami suatu kejadian yang penting tahun lalu.
- Lucy mendapat dua buah boneka lucu kemaren
- Dia (laki-laki) akan mengirim uang Selasa depan.
- Dian sedang membersihkan kamarnya pada jam 9 kemaren.
- Mereka sedang berenang ketika saya tidur kemaren.
- Diana telah mendapat seorang teman baru
- Kami telah menulis sebuah puisi untuk guru kami.
- Saya bahagia sekarang.
- Saya sedih kemaren.
- Lely sakit dua hari yang lalu.
- Kamu seorang PNS.
- Kamu disini untuk belajar bahasa inggris.
5. Find and Correct the Mistakes!
1) Frank have a cat and two snake
2) Elsa is at home yesterday
3) Jean are a teacher
4) Jenny were sick last week
5) I am here yesterday
6) You sleep at 10 pm last night
7) I am study now
8) Lucy write two letter yesterday
9) Last night, Samantha have meatballs for dinner.
10) My friend go to Jakarta last month.
11) Yesterday, I spend two hour cleaning my living room.
12) Jack eats two bowls of cereal this morning.
13) Beck have visit me in Samarinda.
LANDING AT A HIDDEN MILITARY BASE
Have you heard of the Air Force’s high-security, super-secret base in Nevada, known as “Area 51?”
Well, late one afternoon, the Air Force folks out at Area 51 were very surprised to see a Cessna landing at their “secret” base. They immediately impounded the aircraft and hauled the pilot into an interrogation room.
The pilot’s story was that he took off from Vegas, got lost, and spotted the Base just as he was about to run out of fuel.
By the next day, they were finally convinced that the pilot really was lost and wasn’t a spy. They gassed up his airplane, gave him a terrifying “you-did-not-see-a-base” briefing, complete with threats of spending the rest of his life in prison.
The day after that, the same Cessna showed up again. Once again, the MP’s surrounded the plane…And this time there were two people in the plane.
The same pilot jumped out and said, “Do anything you want to me, but my wife is in the plane and you have to tell her where I was last night!”