PPS PAI STAIN Smd Meeting 8
MEETING 8: Review: Speaking, English Tenses, Reading Comp
1. Review of the previous lesson.
- My Hobby
- Daily Routines
- My Family/My Good Friend
- My Planning
- Interesting Place
Imagine you found a wallet with Rp. 1.0000.000,- in it on the street. What would you do?
2. Speaking Practice
MY ACTIVITIES LAST NIGHT
Last night, I had dinner at 7pm with my parents. Having dinner together is our habit. After dinner, I watched music program on TV. The program was about The Rock music concert in Surabaya. I like the Rock songs.
After ward, I studied English. I read the English book and translated some sentences into Bahasa Indonesia. I studied for about an hour.
After studying, I listened to the music for a while. I played my VCD player and listened to my favorite band, The Rock. Then, I slept at 10pm.
Practice: Tell your activities yesterday, and last Sunday
A CLEVER CROW
One day a crow was very tired and thirsty. He looked every-where for some water to drink, but he could not find any. At last he found an old jar in which there was a little water. The jar was so tall and the water was so low that he could not reach it with his short bill.
He thought for a while. Then he flew away to pick up some stones. He dropped the stones into the jar one after another, and the water came up higher and higher. At last the crow was able to drink as much as he liked.
Answer these questions:
- Read the text loudly by repeating the English teacher!
- Translate the text above.
- Answer the following questions
- What did the crow look for?
- Why did the crow look for it?
- What did it find at last?
- What did it do to get the water in the jar?
GROWING CROPS WITH LESS WATER
This is the VOA Special English Agriculture Report.
Scientists are (1)___________ to develop crop plants that can reduce the amount of water used for agriculture. Almost (2)___________ percent of the world’s freshwater withdrawals from rivers, lakes and other water (3)____________ go toward irrigating fields.
Scientists are using biotechnology as well as traditional breeding methods to develop water-saving crops to feed a (4)___________ world.
Thomas “Tommy” Carter is a plant scientist in North Carolina. He works for the (5)_______________ Research Service in the United States Department of Agriculture. He leads Team Drought, a group of researchers at (6)__________ universities. They have been using conventional breeding methods to develop soybeans that can grow well under dry conditions.
Tommy Carter started working on drought-resistant soybeans in (7)__________. His research has taken him as far as China, where soybeans have been grown for thousands of years.
Farmers in the United States, however, have grown soybeans for only about a century. Tommy Carter says the soybeans they grow are for the most part genetically similar. More differences, or diversification, could better (8)________ crops against climate changes that can reduce production. Those changes include water shortages which could increase from global warming.
The Agriculture (9)___________ has a soybean germplasm collection, a collection of genetic material passed from one generation to the next. Members of Team Drought studied more than (10)_____________ examples from the collection.
They looked at ones from the ancestral home of soybeans, Asia. They searched for germplasms that could keep plants from weakening and wilting during hot, dry summers in the United States.
Tommy Carter says they found only (11)_________. But these slow-wilting lines, he says, produce four to eight bushels more than normal soybeans under drought conditions. The yield depends on (12)_____________ and environment.
The team is now doing field tests. The first breeding line is expected to be released (13)____________ for use by private seed companies and public soybean breeders.
Scientists are also working on other plants that either use less water or use it better, or both. For example, companies like Monsanto, DuPont and Syngenta are (14)_______________ corn with reduced water needs. Monsanto expects to be ready in four years to market its (15)________ corn seeds genetically engineered to resist drought.
And that’s the VOA Special English Agriculture Report, written by Jerilyn Watson. I’m Doug Johnson
5. Test your English Grammar.
a. Put the verbs between brackets in the past form.
1) He ________ me some money last Monday. (give)
2) They ________ here last Tuesday. (come)
3) You _______ an orange last Sunday. (sell)
4) She ______ rice in the kitchen yesterday. (cook)
5) Helmi and Rama ________ football in the school. (play)
6) Mr. Hasan _______ to office this morning. (walk)
7) The teacher _________ English in the class two hours ago. (explain)
8) A student _________ an English book two days ago. (buy)
9) A driver ________ a ghost last night(see).
10) The doctor __________ the patient when I went home. (examine)
b. Change the verbs in the following sentence into past tense
1) Yesterday, I go to the restaurant with a client.
2) We drive around the parking lot for 20 minutes.
3) We arrive at the restaurant at 8am.
4) The waitress help us last night.
5) My secretary forgets to make a letter.
6) The teacher come back at 10am.
7) I walk to the office yesterday.
8) We see a small grocery store in the corner of the street.
9) We buy some sandwiches in the grocery store.
6. Translate these sentences into English
1) Carla menari didepan rumahnya setiap sore.
2) Kamu melihat guru saya di mall bulan lalu.
3) Saya bisa mengerti bahasa Inggris.
4) Kami telah berbicara bahasa Inggris dengan dua orang turis.
5) Saya membeli sebuah tas setiap tahun.
6) Lucy mendapat uang dari bapaknya minggu lalu.
7) Ria dan Irwan telah meminjam buku di perpustakaan sekolah Senin lalu.
8) Tommy menyanyikan lagu dangdut di kamar mandi sekarang.
9) Tony sedang berenang dengan mereka sekarang.
10) Tony sedang tidur pada jam 9 kemarin.
11) Mereka sedang belajar pada jam 10 minggu lalu.
7. Find and Correct the Mistakes!
1) We are watch TV now
2) Lucy have write a letter.
3) They will to buy a new car
4) Sandy have a new friend
5) You have eat a apple
6) I play tennis last week
7) Donny is play the guitar now
8) We can to do many English question
9) Ryan have drink a cup of tea.
10) I have invite they to come to my birthday party.